For an explanation of bounced email handling, please see Bounced Email Handling.
For a detailed description of bounced emails, click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message
- - - - - - - - - -
In Blue Utopia, you don't typically remove an email address from your system simply because it bounced. There are a few reasons for this.
1. If the email address exists as a duplicate in your system, then you may still be emailing to a bad email address
2. There might be other relevant data for the user such as voting history, donation history, other contact information, etc.
3. Email address is a very useful field in determining matches during import so leaving the email in the system keeps you from re-importing duplicate records.
So, how do you remove bad email addresses? The answer is that you inactivate them. This marks the email as do-not-email, and removes the email from all Online & Email lists. It does *not* remove the email from your system and it does alter the record in any other way.
To inactivate a bounced email.
- Select "Email Campaigns" from the left hand navigation
- Select the "Manage Email Data" action
- Choose "View Bounces"
- You will be presented with all the 'unprocessed' bounces, which are emails that have bounced in the past but the system is still attempting to send to when you send a broadcast email.
- Scroll to the bottom and click select all in the Inactivate column.
- Click Save. This will inactivate the emails, as outlined above.